Information for Provisional and Full Applicants
Requirements To Be Eligible To Apply For Membership
The minimum requirements to be eligible to apply for membership are:
- An NZQA approved qualification in Counselling or similar, minimum level 7 (Bachelor’s Degree) – see below ‘Qualifications’
- To be seeing your supervisor for at least six months prior to applying at a ratio of 1 supervision session per 20 client hours, or monthly, whichever comes first
- Be seeing a supervisor who meets our criteria as outlined in our Supervision Statement
- Have a minimum of 200 client hours – which includes the hours done during study
- A list of professional development covering a period of at least 12 months prior to applying that meets our minimum of 50 hours per year. Refer to our PD page
- Agree to and abide by:
The same minimum requirements as outlined in the Provisional Membership requirements with the following amendments:
- Have a minimum of 400 client hours (including the hours done during study)
- To be seeing your supervisor for at least six months prior to applying at a minimum ratio of 1 supervision session per 40 client hours, or monthly, whichever comes first
Your training/qualifications must include:
- Counselling micro-skills
- Knowledge of a range of theoretical models with competency in at least one model
- Understanding and knowledge of a variety of counselling issues and situations
- Understanding of the principles of a Code of Ethics and the concept of client safety
- Knowledge around the value of supervision
- Self-awareness and personal development including undertaking some personal counselling during the course as required
- Practical work with other students to practice skills and models
- Supervised practice as per course requirements
- Completed Bi-Cultural/Treaty of Waitangi training in a course that offers at least 30 hours of training/experience. A Marae visit should be included; an overnight stay is preferred but not essential. Membership cannot be considered until this training has been undertaken.
- Undertaken at least 200 supervised client hours (Provisional Membership) or 400 supervised client hours (Full Membership)
- Had at least monthly supervision for the past six months with a New Zealand supervisor who is trained as a clinical counsellor as well as having supervision training. They must also be a member of a professional counselling or psychotherapy organisation (e.g. NZCCA, NZAC or NZAP), or a member of another professional body acceptable to the NZCCA Executive.
Qualifications gained outside of New Zealand will need to be converted to their NZ equivalent. Before you apply for membership you need to have your counselling-related qualification(s) evaluated by the NZ Qualifications Authority (NZQA) to determine their NZ equivalency.
Applying for Provisional or Full Membership
To apply for Provisional or Full Membership you will need to have a login for the NZCCA website to be able to view the application forms. You can sign up to our website by following the sign-up process (see the instructions on how to sign up are at the beginning of the video below).
Once you are logged in you will be able to view the various application forms under the Membership/Application Forms menu.
Click on the Provisional Membership Application or Full Membership Application form (as applicable).
Click here to view the video that will guide you through the login and Provisional Application form. (The Full Membership Application form is similar but there are some differences e.g. in various requirements. We strongly suggest you view this video to help you navigate the online application process.
Please contact the NZCCA office should you have any further questions email@example.com